This lasagna is plant based and so very yummy! You must be asking how the words healthy and yummy fit together in one sentence? Well, let me tell you that you don’t have to sacrifice taste when you’re eating healthy.
I don’t like to go on and on when there’s a recipe involved, so I’ll get right to it.
SPINACH & MUSHROOM LASAGNA
8 small servings or 4 large
1 T avocado oil 2 pkgs mushrooms - I used Cremini & White Button - sliced
1/2 c diced yellow onion
3 cloves garlic - crushed
3 c baby spinach - roughly chopped
1 container Kite Hill almond milk ricotta
1 pkg Violife Mozzarella shreds
1/4 c Violife Just Like Parmesan cheese 1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic salt
1/4 - 1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 c fresh basil - chopped
1 jar pasta sauce
salt & pepper to taste
6 brown rice lasagna noodles - cooked about halfway done (drain and set aside on waxed paper, so they don’t stick together)
(step by step photos to follow)
1. Heat oil in a deep skillet on medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until cooked through and mushrooms release their juices, then add garlic. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for another minute or two. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from stove.
2. In a small bowl mix together ricotta, Parmesan, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cook noodles approximately 6 minutes at this point and set aside. You want the noodles halfway cooked, because I’ve found out that brown rice pasta tends to overcook and can get a little mushy.
4. In an 11x7 inch casserole dish add a little pasta sauce to coat the bottom. Place three noodles on top and dollop with half the ricotta mixture. You can spread with a fork but don’t worry if it’s not touching. Sprinkle with approximately 3/4 c mozzarella shreds. It doesn’t have to coat the entire surface. Add half the mushroom mixture next, then enough pasta sauce to coat evenly. Save some for top layer!
5. In this order add: three more noodles, mushrooms, sauce, ricotta and more mozzarella shreds.
6. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.