You’ll want to serve this delicious French Onion soup at your next holiday dinner party OR just fix a pot and eat it with your family. Either way, this soup is delicious. The caramelized onions simmered in red wine, beef broth and seasonings will have your mouth watering while it’s cooking.
Top each of the soup bowls with a slice of crusty French bread, shredded parmesan, shredded gruyere and a slice of Swiss, then broil for a golden brown, melty presentation.
French Onion Soup
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons avocado oil
3 large red onions, thinly sliced
3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2/3 cup red wine
2 (32oz) cartons beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 loaf French bread, sliced & toasted
4 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
4-8 slices Swiss cheesecheeseSwiss cheese
1 cup shredded gruyere
1. In a large stock pot melt butter with avocado oil.
2. Add onions, brown sugar, molasses, salt & pepper. Sauté onions over medium heat until onions are caramelized. Stirring occasionally. Cook approximately 20 - 30 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 5 minutes.
3. Add red wine to the pan and deglaze, then add broth, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then down to a simmer.
4. Simmer 45 minutes.
5. Add balsamic vinegar and stir.
6. Ladle soup in bowls, top with a slice of toasted French bread, shredded parmesan, slice of Swiss and lastly the shredded gruyere. Broil until melted.