Oatmeal cake is a family recipe. I remember my mom making this cinnamon-y sugar cake when we’d have family and friends over to the house. My favorite part is the coconut pecan topping.
This is a sweet cake that I think could also be served for breakfast too. When I say sweet, I mean SWEET! You’ll see when you read the recipe. This is the original version, but I may rework it to cut down on the amount of sugar, or try using coconut sugar and or a combination with maple syrup. Anyway, if your tastebuds are craving cake, then this is a quick and easy one to prepare.
Let me know if you try it! ❤️
1. Boil water and butter. Take off heat and add oatmeal. Stir until combined. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add oatmeal mixture and stir with wooden spoon.
3. Mix flour, cinnamon and soda In separate bowl. Add into wet mixture and stir until combined.
4. Pour into a prepared 9x13 pan.
5. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Mix topping ingredients right before cake is ready to be taken out of the oven.
7. While cake is still hot add topping and spread evenly. Put the cake with topping under the broiler for a few minutes until coconut is toasted.
I could eat this right out of the bowl!
Note: I used unsweetened flaked coconut but you may also use sweetened shredded.